HomeThemesDeathsPress releases In the second quarter...

Press Release 03/12/2018

DEATH STATISTICS. II/2018

Share facebook Share twitter Share email pdf Product list

In the second quarter of 2018, 4,996 people died, of which 70 were over 100 years old

People aged over 80 accounted for two thirds of deaths

In the second quarter of 2018 the figure for deaths in the Basque Country stood at 4,996, which was 1.0% down on the same quarter of the previous year, according to Eustat data. By province, both Álava, with 606 deaths, and Gipuzkoa, with 1,592, recorded decreases (7.2% and 0.8% respectively), whilst in Bizkaia, where 2,798 people died, there was an increase of 0.4%.

According to distribution by sex, men accounted for 49.6% and women the remaining 50.4%. 65% of people who died were over 80 years of age and 81.7% over 70, although these data were different for men and women. Thus, 75.6% of the deceased women were over 80 compared to 54.2% of the men. It is worth mentioning that, of the deceased between 40 and 69 years of age, 65.4% were men and 34.6% were women. Finally, of the 70 people who died at the age of 100 or more, 57 were women and only 13 were men.

Amongst the deaths that occurred in the second quarter of 2018, 14 corresponded to children under the age of one, 7 boys and 7 girls.

The main causes of death were tumours and circulatory system diseases, which caused the deaths of 1,514 and 1,352 individuals, respectively, which mean that together they accounted for 57.4% of deaths. Respiratory diseases were the third cause of death, accounting for 462 deaths (9.2%).

Diseases affecting the nervous system, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, caused 328 deaths in the months of April, May and June, 0.4% more than in the same quarter of the previous year.

As in previous quarters, the cause of deaths differed according to sex: amongst men, tumours caused more deaths than diseases of the circulatory system, whilst amongst women the main cause of death was cardiovascular disease, followed by tumours. Diseases of the respiratory system were the third cause of death for both sexes.

Population growth was negative in the spring of 2018, with the population of the Basque Country decreasing by 1,077. There were negative balances in two of the three provinces: in Bizkaia there were 828 fewer inhabitants and in Gipuzkoa 274; in Álava, on the other hand, the balance was positive by 25 people.

graf0015888_01_i.png

For further information:

Eustat - Euskal Estatistika Erakundea / Basque Statistics Institute C/ Donostia-San Sebastián, 1 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz Press Service: servicioprensa@eustat.es Tel.: 945 01 75 62

Inglés
Product data
Product data

In the second quarter of 2018, 4,996 people died, of which 70 were over 100 years old

Operation : 
Death statistics
Código operación : 
010303
Frequency : 
Trimestral
Timeframe : 
II/2018
Last updated : 
12/03/2018
Next update : 
Type of operation : 
Censo
Available formats : 
Pdf
Licence : 
Creative Commons
Permalink : 
http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/not0015888_i.html
Body responsible : 
Other bodies : 
Departamento de Salud

Your feedback.  Help us to make our web better

How would you rate the information on the site?
Very useful
Useful
Barely useful
Not useful at all
Would you like to make a suggestion?
Yes, I would
Send