HomeThemesDeathsPress releases 5,000 people died in...

Press Release 05/12/2017

DEATH STATISTICS. II/2017

Share facebook Share twitter Share email pdf Product list

5,000 people died in the second quarter of 2017, 61 of them were over 100 years old

Almost two thirds of deaths were of people aged over 80

In the second quarter of 2017 the figure for deaths in the Basque Country stood at 5,020, which was no variation compared to the same quarter of the previous year, according to Eustat data. By province, both in Bizkaia, with 2,775 deaths, and Álava, with 651, there were decreases (2.5% and 0.3% respectively), whilst in Gipuzkoa, where 1,594 people died, there was an increase of 5%.

According to distribution by sex, men accounted for 50.9% and women the remaining 49.1%. In all, almost two thirds of the deaths (63.4%) corresponded to people over 80 years old, but the percentage rose to three quarters (74.8%) among women, and dropped to half (52.3%) for men. Of the 61 people who died at the age of 100 or more, 53 were women and only 8 were men.

Amongst the deaths that occurred in the second quarter of 2017, 5 corresponded to children under the age of one, 3 boys and 2 girls.

The main causes of death were tumours and circulatory system diseases, which caused the deaths of 1,594 and 1,344 individuals, respectively, which mean that together they accounted for 58.6% of deaths. Respiratory diseases, which resulted in 451 deaths (9%), were the third cause of death.

Diseases affecting the nervous system, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, caused 312 deaths in the months of April, May and June, 0.5% less than in the same quarter of the previous year.

As in previous quarters, the cause of deaths differed according to sex: amongst men, tumours caused more deaths than diseases of the circulatory system, whilst amongst women the main cause of death was cardiovascular disease, followed by tumours. The third cause of death for both sexes was diseases of the respiratory system.

Population growth was negative in the spring of 2017, with the population of the Basque Country decreasing by 699. There were negative balances in two of the three provinces: in Bizkaia there were 568 fewer inhabitants and in Gipuzkoa 222; in Álava, on the other hand, the balance was positive by 91 people.

graf0014481_01_i.png

For further information:

Eustat - Euskal Estatistika Erakundea / Instituto Vasco de Estadística C/ Donostia-San Sebastián, 1 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz Press Service: servicioprensa@eustat.eus Tlf: 945 01 75 62

Inglés
Product data
Product data

5,000 people died in the second quarter of 2017, 61 of them were over 100 years old

Operation : 
Death statistics
Código operación : 
010303
Frequency : 
Trimestral
Timeframe : 
II/2017
Last updated : 
12/05/2017
Next update : 
10/01/2018
Type of operation : 
Censo
Available formats : 
Pdf
Licence : 
Creative Commons
Permalink : 
http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/not0014481_i.html
Body responsible : 
Other bodies : 
Departamento de Salud

Your feedback.  Help us to make our web better

How would you rate the information on the site?
Very useful
Useful
Barely useful
Not useful at all
Would you like to make a suggestion?
Yes, I would
Send