Press release 19/06/2016
The number of enrolments at universities in the Basque country decreased by 0.5% in the 2014/15 academic year
Enrolments in official masters courses increased by 13%, 40% of which took place in private universities
In the 2014/2015 academic year, universities with centres located in the Basque Country took in 67,060 students, which was 0.5% down on the previous year according to Eustat data.
The new degrees under the Bologna plan have meant a 7% increase in Undergraduate degrees with respect to the previous year, whereas First and Second Cycle degrees were down by 62%, accounting for only 4.3% of university enrolments.
If we take into account both degree types, Undergraduate students and First and Second Cycle students made up 85% of total students. The remaining 15% of students enrolled in Postgraduate courses: Masters Degrees and Doctorates both saw increases in student numbers of 13% and 11% respectively.
University studies were primarily pursued in public universities, which is where eight out of ten students studied. This proportion is similar for all degree types, though not for Official Masters, where 4 out of 10 students opted to study in private centres.
In terms of where students studied, 57% studied at universities in Bizkaia, 30% in Gipuzkoa and 13% in Álava.
Women continue to make up the majority in universities (53%)
Women make up the majority of the university population, exceeding men by six percentage points. This pattern is the same for all degree types: Undergraduate Degrees, Masters Degrees and Doctorates. In terms of studies being pursued under the old plan (in the First and Second Cycle), women make up 50% of the total.
The branches of Social & Legal Sciences and Engineering & Architecture comprised three quarters of graduates
In the 2014/2015 academic year, a total of 13,297 young people graduated, 4% down on the previous academic year. 60% of them were women. 8,068 students received a four-year degree, 1,768 a diploma, a Five-Year Degree or a degree in Advanced or Technical Architecture, 2,933 an Official Masters and 528 obtained a Doctorate.
Half of university students in the Basque Country graduated in the Social & Legal Sciences branch, followed by 25% in the Engineering & Architecture branch. The figures for the other branches were lower: 12% in Health Sciences, 8% in Arts & Humanities and 6% in Sciences.
The highest academic level, the Doctorate, was obtained by 528 individuals, and it was obtained by more women (53%) than men. The average age upon obtaining a Doctorate stood at 35, with the average age for women being 34, and 37 for men.
We see the same gender differences in terms of the type of studies selected
There are notable gender differences in terms of the type of studies selected. The most popular programmes were in the branches of Social & Legal Sciences and Engineering & Architecture, which accounted for 66% of enrolments for women and 85% of enrolments for men. Women, however, preferred programmes in the former branch (54%) to the latter branch (16%), whereas men preferred programmes in the latter branch (46%) to the former (39%).
More women enrolled for programmes in the field of Health Sciences (16%) than men (6%). Ultimately, the disparity in Arts & Humanities and in Sciences - branches with fewer students - was less stark, with 3 and 1 percentage points respectively.
Women complete University Studies at various levels at a younger age than men do
The average age of men and women who obtained an Undergraduate degree was 24. Women were able to obtain this degree at a younger age (23) than men (24).
The average age of people enrolling for a Masters degree was 28, with 50% of people aged below 25. Women were slightly younger (27) in this instance than men (28) as well.
23% of enrolments were new students
In the 2014/2015 academic year, a total of 15,627 students enrolled at Basque universities, which accounted for 23% of total enrolments this academic year and a 3.1% drop compared with the previous academic year. 80% of these students opted for public university centres.
For further information:
Eustat - Euskal Estatistika Erakundea / Instituto Vasco de Estadística
C/ Donostia-San Sebastián, 1 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz
Press Service: firstname.lastname@example.org Tlf: 945 01 75 62
Further press releases on university statistics of the Basque Country
Database on university statistics of the Basque Country