Press release 27 /09/2007

PUBLIC EDUCATION EXPENDITURE AND FUNDING STATISTICS 2005



Expenditure on public education institutions increased by 15.1% between 2003 and 2005


The increase was largely due to the incorporation of first-cycle infant education into the education system


Total expenditure on the public education centres in 2005 came to 1,482 million euros, with a 15.1% increase as regards 2003, according to EUSTAT data, which represented 2.6% of GDP in 2005. Public education centres accounted for 63.9% of total expenditure on education, given that expenditure on private education centres came to 834 million euros.

The majority of public centre expenditure, 91%, was earmarked to fund current activities and the remaining 9% to investments. As for current expenditure, 1,349 million euros, 93.4% was devoted directly to education (of which the largest sum, 88%, was allotted to personnel expenses), 1% to complementary activities and 5.6% to complementary services, mainly canteen and school transport services.


Graph 1: Evolution of total expenditure by education level (million €)


Source: EUSTAT


Turning to the type of education, centres offering pre-university levels represented 74% of total expenditure, while universities accounted for 21% and specialised education centres the remaining 5%. If compared with private centres, public universities contributed 10.6% more to total expenditure.


During the two-year period 2003 to 2005, the rhythm of growth for education expenditure was greater per student (7.9%) than per unit (5.7%).


Education expenditure per school unit in public centres accounted for 72,582 euros in infant education, while in primary, expenditure came to 71,995 euros. In middle-level education it came to 118,664 for E.S.O. (Compulsory Secondary Education), 159,356 euros for the areas of Baccalaureate and 134,018 and 132,871 euros for medium-grade and higher-grade Vocational Training.


Education expenditure per student came to 4,639 euros in infant education, while in primary it was 4,956. As for middle-level education, it ranged from 7,804 in E.S.O., to 6,305 in Baccalaureate and from 9,890 to 8,920 in medium-grade and higher-grade Vocational Training respectively. In specialised education (languages, music and arts and crafts) it came to 1,107 euros per student and in university, to 4,943 euros.


Total income for public centres totalled 1,506 million euros, with 91.3% corresponding to current income and 8.7% to capital income. The main components of current income were public subsidies, which accounted for 91.6% of the total. Private sources contributed 6.7% of current income, mainly through school fees (3.7%) and complementary services and activities (3%).


Table 1.- Summary of the evolution of the main variables


Source: EUSTAT


For further information:

Euskal Estatistika-Erakundea / Instituto Vasco de Estadística
C/ Donostia-San Sebastián, 1. 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz
Tel:+34-945-01 75 00. Fax:+34-945-01 75 01. E-mail : eustat@eustat.es
Contact: Mª Carmen San Vicente
Tel:+34-945-01 75 45. Fax:+34-945-01 75 01.
Press releases on the Internet: www.eustat.es
Data bank: www.eustat.eus/bancopx/english/indice.aspx

Inglés
Product data
Product data

Expenditure on public education institutions increased by 15.1% between 2003 and 2005

Operation : 
Public Education Expenditure and Financing Statistics
Código operación : 
042911
Frequency : 
Trienal
Timeframe : 
ESTADÍSTICA DEL GASTO Y FINANCIACIÓN DE LA ENSEÑANZA PÚBLICA AÑO 2005
Last updated : 
09/27/2007
Next update : 
Type of operation : 
Censo
Available formats : 
Pdf
Licence : 
Creative Commons
Permalink : 
http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/not0004333_i.html
Body responsible : 

Other statistical products

Data

Interactive graphs

Microdata file

Metadata

Codes and nomenclatures

Auxiliary information

Calendar

Your feedback.  Help us to make our web better

How would you rate the information on the site?
Very useful
Useful
Barely useful
Not useful at all
Would you like to make a suggestion?
Yes, I would
Send