HomeThemesPrivate centresPress releases Expenditure on private...

Press Release 16/06/2017

PRIVATE EDUCATION EXPENDITURE AND FINANCING STATISTICS 2015

Share facebook Share twitter Share email pdf Product list

Expenditure on private education centres increased by 0.8% between 2012 and 2015 in the Basque Country

Public subsidies account for 62% of the income of private centres

Private education in the Basque Country, comprising 453 centres that offer their services to just over 210,000 students, had a total expenditure of 1,052 million euros in 2015, 0.8% more than in 2012, according to Eustat data.

In the 2015 financial year, current expenditure rose to 1,016 million euros, with an increase of 1.3% during the last three-year period; this expenditure accounted for 96.5% of the total and most of it went on personnel (74%). Investment, on the other hand, which stood at 36.5 million euros, fell (-11.5%), though not as sharply as during the previous period.

As for current expenditure by type, education and complementary services expenditure rose by 3.8% and 15% respectively. The increase in expenditure on complementary services (mostly school meals and transport) is down to the wide range of services provided by many education centres, for instance guardianship services for students outside school hours.

As far as the type of centre was concerned, pre-university levels were the ones that concentrated the greatest part of the sector's total expenditure, 87%, while higher education centres accounted for 11% of expenditure and those of specialised education, 2%.

Graph 1. Changes in expenditure in private education centres in the Basque Country (thousands of euros)
Source: Eustat. Private Education Expenditure and Financing Statistics

Expenditure on education increased per unit (3.6%), but average education expenditure per student fell (-1.6%)

Between 2012 and 2015, expenditure on education per student fell (-1.6%), though less sharply than the previous year. Expenditure per unit, on the other hand, rose by 3.5% in 2015, posting positive growth rates once again and a figure above that recorded in 2009.

In 2015, education expenditure(1) per school unit or group was €71,143 for Infant Education and €85,648 for Primary. In Compulsory Secondary Education (ESO) it was €103,205, €100,168 in Vocational Training (FP) and €130,500 in Upper Secondary. Unit costs in Adult Education (EPA) amounted to €56,683.

Education expenditure per student came to €3,781 for Infant Education, €3,985 for Primary, €4,965 for Compulsory Secondary Education, €5,091 for Upper Secondary and €5,026 for Vocational Training. Expenditure per student at university level came to €6,320, whilst for Specialised Education it was €1,473.

Total income for private centres amounted to 1,084 million euros, with 99% corresponding to current income and the remaining 1% to capital income. Public subsidies were the main source of current income, accounting for 62%, maintaining the proportion of previous years; followed by fees (34%), tuition fees within those (22%), and complementary services (9.9%).

As a whole, income from fees rose to 370 million euros, where tuition fees accounted for 65.8% of the total, transport fees accounted for 5.9%, school meals provided 19% and fees corresponding to additional activities came to 5.2% of family expenditure; remaining income came from fees for other services.

Table 1: Total expenditure and expenditure per student and per unit. 2001-2015
Source: Eustat. Private Education Expenditure and Financing Statistics

Note: In 2015, this statistical operation has been carried out in collaboration with the National Institute of Statistics (INE).

(1) Education costs include estimates of expenditure on teaching staff and non-teaching staff who do not have a contract with the education centre and who receive no pay

For further information:

Eustat - Euskal Estatistika Erakundea / Instituto Vasco de Estadística C/ Donostia-San Sebastián, 1 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz Press Service: servicioprensa@eustat.es Tlf: 945 01 75 62

Inglés
Product data
Product data

Expenditure on private education centres increased by 0.8% between 2012 and 2015 in the Basque Country

Operation : 
Private Education Expenditure and Financing Statistics
Código operación : 
042913
Frequency : 
Trienal
Timeframe : 
2015
Last updated : 
06/16/2017
Next update : 
Type of operation : 
Censo
Available formats : 
Pdf
Licence : 
Creative Commons
Permalink : 
http://en.eustat.eus/elementos/not0014258_i.html
Body responsible : 

Other statistical products

Data

Interactive graphs

Microdata file

Metadata

Codes and nomenclatures

Auxiliary information

Calendar

Your feedback.  Help us to make our web better

How would you rate the information on the site?
Very useful
Useful
Barely useful
Not useful at all
Would you like to make a suggestion?
Yes, I would
Send